Is there an opportunity you haven’t recognized?
The ‘baby boomer’ generation, those born between 1946 and 1964, are getting ready to retire. This means that of the 14 million businesses in Europe in the €5-150 million range, over 7 million will transfer ownership in the next 5 – 15 years.
The Market in the United Kingdom
- Micro businesses, fewer than 10 people, represent a third of all private sector employment in the United Kingdom
- The average small business in the United Kingdom has less than 8 staff and a turnover of £454,000
- 10-49 people (small business) 14.6%
- 50-249 people (medium-sized business) 12.4%
- 249+ people (large business) 39.8%
- 60% Many businesses are firmly embedded in their local community
- 1/3rd of UK business closures are due to transfer failures
- Lack of preparation is the single biggest contributing factor to succession failures
- Less than 30% of family-owned businesses make it into a third generation
- 41% of previous owners were still involved in a company they had exited after one year. 26% after five year. This is not by their own volition but because the business could not be run without them.
- Very few professionals in the United Kingdom have been trained be amongst the first register now
How large is the market in the United Kingdom?
- 700,000 companies in the United kingdom will change hands in the next 10 years.
- An average Exit Strategy coordination programme is priced @ £13,500 times 70,000 companies being transferred per year equal a potential market of £ 945 MM